Sólheimajökull Glacier Hiking 1.5 Hour – Difficulty ⅖ Rating: Easy
Short on time? Have your own vehicle? Want to take a hike on a glacier?
This is the perfect Sólheimajökull glacier hiking adventure for you which is one of the most spectacular glaciers in Iceland. This is an enjoyable and pleasing hike as you get to learn about the amazing wonder of glaciers.
The hike will last for about 1.5 hours with one of our experienced, certified local guides. A complete narration is provided by the guide explaining all about glacial features, formations, global impact and geology.
In this 1.5 hour Sólheimajökull Glacier Hiking adventure you will surround yourself with the most remarkable scenery that lends itself to fantastic photo opportunities too.
You will meet our guide at the Sólheimajökull parking where a complete introduction of equipment and the hike ahead will take place. As we always organise small, private groups, the guest to guide ratio is 8:1 or less. It’s as intimate as it gets!
Once all the preparation is complete including wearing of boots, rainwear, crampons, Ice axe, helmet, and harness has been fitted, you will walk with your small group escorted by our local certified guide towards the glacier which should take about 20 minutes to walk.
Walking on glaciers and ice requires the use of crampons and at this point, the guide will show you how to properly use the equipment before walking onto the glacier.
It is good to mention that Nature Kicks provides all the relevant equipment you will require including rain wear, boots, crampons, harness and helmet.
• Sturdy hiking shoes are essential if you are going to participate in the glacier walk
• Waterproof jackets and waterproof trousers are also highly recommended in case the weather turns and we are caught in a downpour.
The tour runs all year round. The following are included as part of the tour cost:
• Expert, certified local guide
• Hiking on Sólheimajökull glacier
• All technical hiking gear and rain wear is provided
To make your adventure as enjoyable as possible you will need to bring with you a few items:
• The temperatures are quite unforgiving, this is Iceland after all. Please ensure you are adequately dressed, with warm outdoor clothing, waterproof coat, hat and gloves, sturdy hiking boots.
Duration & Meeting Point:
• One of the frequently asked question is the length of the tour. The hiking adventure runs from 11AM to 2PM – 1.5 hours on the glacier. A total of 2.5 hours will be required to accommodate the approach and preparation time.
• This tour departs from Sólheimajökull parking lot. Distance from Reykjavik approx. 164 km / 101 mi. GPS 63°31’00.48″N, 19°22’00.12W (WGS84).
For the enjoyment of everyone on the tour the group size is kept to a maximum of 8 persons per guide. This allows everyone to have access to the guide and to ask questions.
We are happy to tell you that this is the smallest group size in Iceland for this type of tour.
Got what we expected and beyond plus the bonus of an amazingly funny and knowledgeable guide. Great tour even for an older couple like us with few rest breaks when the guide was pointing out things. We hired a car and so, this glacier tour was perfect as we could then easily get away to continue to explore straight after the hike. Thank you Nature Kicks.
This is a brilliant hiking tour on a glacier. Short but sweet and perfect for anybody of any skill and fitness level.
The weather as you know is unpredictable especially so, in this part of the world. In the event we have to cancel the glacier hike due to bad weather, an alternative date can be scheduled or a full refund.
Legal Disclaimer: Nature Kicks or the guides will not be held responsible for any accidents which may occur during the activities that are deemed to be the result of participant’s actions. We require you to sign a waiver prior to embarking on the tour accepting the risks associated with participating in these activities.
Add to Wishlist
We accept the following secure payments
All secure payments are processed by Stripe for your security.